Vajikarana is one among eight branches of Ayurveda. It is mainly concerned with aphrodisiacs, virility and improving health of progeny. It is also concerned with good physique, potency, strength, complexion andpersons with low libido. This in turn is helpful in many common sexual dysfunctions, including Infertility, Premature Ejaculation and Erectile dysfunction. It is also useful to produce healthy sperms which will help in procreation of healthy offspring.
How it works?
It nourishes all the seven dhatus of body, therefore restoring equilibrium and health in body. Itoffers a solution to minimize theshukra (sperm andovum) defects and ensures a healthy progeny. The main action of Vajikarana dravyas is on reproductive system and enhances sexual function to increase sperm count and motility. They also strengthen the mind and make man psychologically fit to perform sexual activities.Researches also claims that this drugs has anti-stress, adaptogenic actions, which helps to alleviate anxiety associated with sexual desire and performance. Chauhan et al. (2010) in a study showed that administration of Vajikarana drugs modulate the level of the pituitary hormones FSH and LH. This in parts can explain the positive effect of the herbs on sexual functioning.
The Vajikarana drugs are divided into the following three groups:
- Dehabalakara – Promoting physical strength, including that of semen.
- Manobalakara – Enhancing mental powers needed to sustain long sexual acts.
- Deh-manobalakara – Acts both ways.
Vajikarana drugs can be classified in following manner
The substances which improve production of semen are called sukrajanaka drugs. Usually such drugs are administered in the patients with azoospermia, oligospermia etc.
Example – Amalaki, gokshura, Musali, cow milk and ghee etc.
These are the medications which areuseful in premature ejaculation, anxiety related sexual complaints etc.
Example – Jatiphala, Musta, Ela, Chandana, etc.
The medicaments which help in easy expulsion of semen are called ShukraRechaka drugs. This becomes very essential in those who have hesitation for sexual indulgence, psychological infertility, aversion towards foreplay etc.
Example – Shatavari, yastimadhu, bala, vidarikhanda, etc.
Foods that can be taken……
-It plays an important role in increasing sperm count and motility.Some studies indicate deficiencies in vitamin A in men may be associated with lowered fertility due to sluggish sperm. Some of foods with Vitamin A are spinach, sweet potatoes, carrots, apricots etc.
– It plays good role to improve sperm quality and motility. It also protects sperm against free radicals and oxidative stress. Low vitamin C status is associated with decreased motility and abnormal morphology of sperms. Food with Vitamin C arebroccoli, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, asparagus and citrus fruit.
– Deficiency of this leads to reduced sperm count and motility. Studies indicate that supplementation with vitamin B12 at 1,000mcg per day may increase sperm count.Food sources: fish, cheese, eggs, etc.
– Carnitine is a necessary nutrient for sperm cells to function normally. It plays an important role for energy metabolism required by sperms. The lower the concentrations of carnitine in the seminal fluid, the lower the sperm count. Food sources: Red meat and dairy products.
zinc is a potent antioxidant mineral that aids in sperm quality and motility. Deficiency of zinc could lead to low testosterone levels and diminished sperm count. Foods rich in zinc are yogurt, eggs, seafood, pumpkin seeds, corn, peas and many more.In men, zinc is considered one of the most important trace minerals for fertility.
– It is necessary for the sperm formation and development. It is directly related to improve sperm motility. In studies, men with low sperm counts have also been found to have low levels of selenium. Food rich in selenium are organic eggs, garlic and sea food.
Folic acid intake
– It plays an important role to increase sperm count, production and motility. New research suggests that folic acid can boost sperm health. Men with low levels of folate had increased risks for sperm that contained too little or too many chromosomes.Therefore, to have healthy sperms one should eat leafy green vegetables, whole grains, avocados and beans.
Omega-3 fatty acids
|– According to some research, sperm in fertile men has more of essential fatty acid than the sperm of infertile men. Foods rich in DHA and other essential omega-3 fatty acids help to boost blood flow to the genitals and increase sexual function.|
Dr. RITESH LAHOTI, B.A.M.S